Monday 8 September 2008

Ramadan, 30 days of solidarity



And now its time for another post, it is 11.00 0’clock here in Granada, and I’m waiting for a phone call I know I will not get, so instead I find it appropriate to go through some Spanish guitar music folders, drink some cheap orange juice I bought today from Mercadona and tell you something you don’t know…
Should the post be about Ramadan in Granada? Well, let’s assume it is, although I’m quiet sure I’ll give up describing the situation here in Ramadan, for soon I will realize it is easier if you come and see for yourselves.
Sun sets here around 8.30 on average, and sunrise is about 6.30 on average as well, a long time as you might have guessed, plus, about 10 000 Muslims live here, which makes them about 1.25% of Granada’s population, not that much, which means that everyone is out there midday enjoying food and drinks, ice cream, and snacks. How do I personally feel? I feel an absolute nothing, it doesn’t matter at all that they are eating, and it doesn’t make me feel stronger or weaker, it just reminds me that I’m fasting, and nothing more. I guess this is how Muslims feel here as well.
Today I went to the Friday prayer, was questionably early, to be honest I thought it was at 1.30 but it turned out to be at 2.18, and I liked that I came early, was the third to get into the mosque, to sit in front of the Mihrab and contemplate a bit, so what was I thinking about? Many things, how much I love this city, how much I feel lonely in these days, with practically no one around, how I finally experienced total and absolute freedom but not quiet sure that it is what I thought it would be, I thought about these times I sat next to the Rio Genil and how I didn’t weep, thought much did I feel like it, how much I feel wrong, and how much I want to change things in Jordan, I suddenly decided that I need to be called to form the next cabinet, I even was about to pray for God for me to be the next prime minister, or the minister of planning, but then I stopped and thought I should pinch myself and plan my life before that of other’s.
I belong, to the tears I shed before I sleep…
To the fear that draws my life and illusion…
To the dreams that have forsaken me …
To the toil that have made me realize…
How fragile is my being, wrapped in emotions…
Alhambra is overlooking Granada down under, opposite to where we are, and we are under the sun of the 5th of September 2008, praying, together, kneeling, bowing, and sincerely devoting our moments in that mosque to the high-being, to Allah. I look around, and I like what I see, it is a very beautiful mosque that was inaugurated five years ago, new, clean and luminous, with astonishing touch of Granada’s Islamic architecture, women’s prayer room is on the same plane separated by a wooden fence that allows both to see indistinctly the other, and believe me, nobody was occupied with that thought. I see Spanish ,Arab (mostly Moroccan) , and some African Muslims, some were with ear piercings, some had “inappropriate” hair cuts, but they were praying, they were like me and everybody, and I liked it.



لا أريد النوم، فأنا لا أعرف ماذا سأفعل بعد أن أصحو، ومنذ قررت أن من الموبقات الصحيان بلا معرفة ماذا سنفعل في يومنا ذا، قررت أن تتعدد الأسباب التي توقظني كل يوم،ولكنني، هاهنا، لا أعرف ما سأفعل غداً، وبعد غد، وبعد بعد غد، ربما حان وقت السهر، بالساعات الطوال والأيام.
كان الشهر هذا فاصلاً اجبارياً في حياتي، في مواجهة نفسي، وبعيداً عن المعاني التي أعرف، فأجد نفسي وحيداً هنا في مدينة هجرها بنوها إلى عوائلهم و ضيعهم، وعدت أنا اليها كالابن الضال، بل وأكثر ضلالاً من ذي قبل. عدت إلى مدينة يتوافد إليها السياح من كل مكان، يحاولون فهم ما لم أفهم في ساعات وأيام قليلة، أنظر إليهم، وأداعب خيالي بما سيتقولون عن جولتهم لما يعودون إلى روافدهم، أنظر إليهم وأراهم كدمىً تتجول بوتيرة متوقعة تملأ النواحي الساكنة ضجيجاً لا داعي له، ربما هي الغيرة التي أشعر بها، أنني أود جداً يا حضرات السياح أن تكون بينكم تلك المجموعة التي تعنيني، لأرشدها إلى ما لا تعرف، في نواحي غرناطة وشوارعها، أن تملأ الأرجاء بصوتي وصوت أحبتي ، وأن نجتاح المدينة بالابتسامات والكلام العربي الذي أفهم، سئمت يا أخوتي من ابتساماتي المصطنعة في وجه الجميع، كضرورة حيوية لعنصر آدمي آخر، ولا أريد الامتعاض أيضاً، أريد فقط، أن أقهقه كما لو كنت أمام ممثلين خفيفي الظل، أنتم جميعاً، يا شأن غرناطة مثقل الكاهلين، لا تعنونني بشئ، أراكم ملوثاً بصرياً، وسمعياً و همأ على القلب.
ماذا لو تحولت إلى نبتة؟ إلى شجرة باسقة ، خضراء و حقيقية[G1] . أين كنت لأزرع نفسي؟ يخيفني التفكير في عدد الاحتمالات، و يخطر ببالي أن هناك الكثير من الأرض التي لم أزر، فكيف أستطيع معرفة ذلك؟ ...
ثم أستيقظ صبيحة الأحد، بعد ليلة حافلة بالسهر والرقص في كهوف ساكرمنتو وبارات شارع البيرة، كنا حوالي عشرة أشخاص، وانتهى بنا الأمر ثلاثة اسبان وثلاث هولنديات وحضرة جنابي، ولعبنا هذه اللعبة، (لم أفعل هذا قط) ، وفيه يقول أحدهم ما لم يفعله قط في حياته ، ومن فعل يشرب، ومن لم يفعل، يمتنع (لا تقلق إن لم تفهم اللعبة، فقد فهمها بعض الاخوان بعد ثلاث جولات) ، المهم، اكتشفت أنني لا يمكن أن أكون صادقاً أبداً ، كما لم أكن يوماً ، ولكنهم (يزقون قوي) باتجاه المواضيع الجنسية دائماً ، إلى حد تتساقط معك كحبات الشمع الذائب كل حواجز الحرج ، فقررت الصمت ، سكن تسلم!
أعود للقول، استيقظت منتصف نهار الأحد، يوم طويل و منعش الحرارة من أيام أيلول، وفجأة قررت التنزه والمشي طويلاً خلف الحمراء، لطالما أردت أن أستكشف المنطقة، أن أعثر على مخطوط أثري أو خاتم سلطاني...وقد مشيت كثيراً وفكرت أكثر، وكتبت بعض الكلمات على قصاصات الورق، أقفز عن الطريق كلما سمعت أصوات الدراجات الجبلية تئز من أعلى التل، وأستقبلهم بابتسامة عريضة معلناً أن (بوينا: الطريقة الغرناطية الكسولة في قول بويناس تاردس، مساء الخير)، وقررت أن أعود المرة القادمة بدراجة هوائية.
الجبل كبير، وذكرني إلى حد ما بغابة برقش، بوعورة طرق مزرعتنا في عجلون، وذكرني بصغري المفرط أمام هذه العظمة.
من منكم أراد زيارتي ، فليستعد للمشي طويلاً وبالنزول من على الجبل إلى النهر، سنجلس هناك أمام الساكرمنتو والبيازين ونتحدث عن هذا العالم من وجهة نظر السلطان.

1 comment:

boricua_star said...

I felt really touched when you talked about your experiencing Ramadan in Granada, honestly it made me feel we are really all interconnected and really we are blessed to be living, breathing and existing. I know you will achieve great things!!! May Allah guide you in your journey through life.